Do you still have virtual meeting anxiety? Here are 5 steps you can take to ensure your meetings run smoothly, from choosing the right lighting to preparing ahead of time. They’ll help you take the stress out of the logistics so you can be a more productive meeting participant.
- Disable noisy alerts from your devices. Better yet, turn them off completely. Looking at your phone or checking emails during an online meeting may not seem like a big deal, but it can distract from the meeting and be perceived as rude behavior.
- Choose the best lighting to enhance the way that you look on camera. The wrong lighting can make you appear washed out, tired, unengaged, or even sick. Some easy tips for achieving the best lighting are to sit facing a window, replace regular lightbulbs with Daylight LED bulbs in both overhead and desk lamps, or install computer camera lights.
- Log in to the online meeting 5 to 10 minutes early. To ensure a meeting starts promptly, log in to the video chat platform at least five minutes before the start time. This will give you a chance to resolve any technical problems. Online meetings are still fairly new and it is important to do some test runs and ensure you know how to use all the online meeting functions correctly.
- Prepare your desktop. If you will be sharing your screen during the online meeting, it is important to hide any distractions or sensitive information from your desktop. Make sure to turn off notifications, close extra tabs, remove unnecessary desktop folders, etc. prior to the meeting.
- Use your incognito browser. It is helpful to turn on incognito or private mode when video conferencing. This mode avoids having your previous search and browsing history suggestions show up on your screen. Most of today’s web browsers have an incognito or private browsing mode and are easy to set up.
Virtual meetings are a great way to connect with colleagues and clients, but only if they go smoothly. By following these five steps, you can make sure that your meetings are productive and enjoyable for everyone involved. If you need more tips on how to have a successful business meeting, reach out to our team of experts. We’re happy to help!