As a business owner, do the words “social media video algorithm” make your eyes glaze over?
Or inspire panic? Video continues to be one of the fastest-growing segments of social media, with the average person spending 16 hours per week watching videos online. That’s a juicy market segment you don’t want to miss.
However, you don’t need to be the next Christopher Nolan (or have a Hollywood budget) to get eyeballs on your video content.
While there are nuances to each social media channel, this article will focus on maximizing your video output when it comes to the Meta algorithm used by Facebook and Instagram.
Step 1 – Consider The Basics
If you are going to generate video content regularly, having a basic setup will make things go smoothly. After all, no matter how creative the idea, few people will watch a video with poor production value. For all of our best video production tips, explore our blog series Video Made the Marketing Star.
Step 2 – Be True to Your Brand
Being true to your brand just means thinking like your target audience. One of the best questions you can ask: “Is this something I would want to watch?” If the content is boring to you, it will be boring to your viewers. That’s no bueno.
Here are a few more questions to keep in mind:
- What are the most compelling topics that my viewers care about? For example, a mechanic could make an interesting video about the most avoidable vehicle problems.
- Is what I’m saying original? The most important asset you can bring to the table is an original voice. Even if you are participating in a trend or incorporating someone else’s content, put your own spin on it!
- Does my video have a narrative? Humans naturally love stories. They don’t even need to be long—just have a clear beginning, middle, and end to your idea.
Step 3 – Engage, Engage, Engage!
Nothing will boost views more than organic engagement. When people seek out your page or account, the Meta algorithm takes this as a good sign that your video should reach a wider audience.
Essentially, this can be achieved in four ways:
- Optimizing your content for SEO. Clear and relevant tags, titles, and descriptions make it easier to find your content.
- Organic sharing, such as friend-to-friend or person-to-person.
- Having quality, non-spammy discussions in the comments section—and, yes, you can participate! Keep it highbrow and focused.
- Producing authentic interactions with likes and reactions.
Step 4 – Avoid The Bait
Social media enthusiasts are savvy consumers. Instinctually, you know this, too. For example, consider how quickly you navigate away from an obvious ad. No one goes to social media just to be sold something. Video content that is funny, interesting, or educational (or all three!) builds brand loyalty and keeps you top of mind.
Most importantly, avoid a bait-and-switch. Nothing turns off a viewer faster than a video that doesn’t deliver what its title promises. Trying to game the system with manufactured sharing practices or misinformation is also a big no-no. Eventually, Meta will catch on and limit your distribution—or delete your content entirely.
Following these steps will get you started on a path to building loyal audiences—the kind that can turn into paying customers. If video content still seems like an uphill battle, Ideal Solutions can help.
Schedule a free consultation today to get one step closer to your close-up!