Burnout, mental fatigue, feeling down, or just being plain old sad—we’ve all been there before. And if your mental health starts to affect your day-to-day life, it’s essential to take steps to preserve, uplift, and nurture your own mind.
You know, so you can be the best you can be—for you AND your business.
This Mental Health Awareness Month, we’ve put together a short list of simple ways that entrepreneurs (you) can look after their own well-being.
- Stellar Networks Offer Strong Support. Everyone’s heard the phrase, “Your network is your net worth.” Maybe it’s a little corny. But the truth is, your network and who you’re surrounded by is an incredibly powerful thing. Try releasing a little pressure by chatting with a like-minded cohort about business or spilling the tea with a friend.
- Set Your Status to Out Of Office. Vacation is a must. At Ideal Solutions, our flexible schedules mean work is happening ‘round the clock—but even we know when it’s time to take a necessary vacation. Burnout is real and can take a toll on your mental health. But when you’ve built a team that you can count on, taking some time for yourself away from work shouldn’t be a problem.
- Be Realistic with Boundaries. We know that as a business owner, you’re probably ALWAYS needed somewhere. But it’s important to know that even though you may be needed at all times, some things can certainly wait. If your team uses Google Calendars, block out time for personal/ work hours. A simple “do not disturb” period each day can really go a long way toward protecting your own time.
- Practice Mindfulness or Meditation. Owning a business is stressful! A little bit of mindfulness can have a serious impact on how this stress manifests throughout your life. It helps you to get better control over the things that cause stress and anxiety. Meditation and yoga are great ways to practice this. Consider having your team take part in a 20-minute yoga session with you each morning; it can also lead to building a stronger connection with your staff.
- Regular Exercise is Key. Exercise is one of the best ways to improve mental well-being. By reducing anxiety and depression through exercise, you’ll notice an improved mood and overall positive outlook on life. You’d be surprised by how far a quick run can do for your mental health.
If you’re a true rockstar business owner that works alongside your employees in-office, consider investing in a few pieces of gym equipment; your staff may really love this! Or, try joining up remotely for online classes.
- Don’t be Afraid to Seek Support. Always remember that seeking support is a sign of strength, not weakness. Whether it’s seeing a therapist weekly, joining a support group, or talking with a counselor—third-party support resources exist for a reason!
- Self-Care is the Best Care. Don’t stretch yourself too thin. Make sure that you’re taking time throughout the week to get enough sleep, go on a nice relaxing walk, do something that you truly enjoy, or indulge in some out-of-work hobbies. It’s essential to disconnect when necessary, setting aside time that’s truly for yourself.
- Burned Out? We Can Help. While we’re not counselors, therapists, or yoga instructors, we’re exceptional marketers and even better business partners. When burnout starts to set in, take a load off—outsource some of your marketing efforts! You might be surprised by how stress-relieving this could be.